Thursday, July 12, 2012

Review of Mariel’s Extended Analysis on Kenneth Bruffee


I chose to review the podcasts created by Mariel on Kenneth Bruffee. Mariel showed a level of mastery of this mode of composition that I hope to emulate in the future revisions of y own assignment. The sound quality and editing was superb, and the introductory music was a great touch. One thing that I noticed in Amelia’s podcast, that I failed to do in mine also, is to introduce the speaker’s background. I think that introducing yourself as a graduate student and teacher would be a good touch, and may engage the listener and reassure them of your experience in this field.

Kenneth Bruffee’s background was discussed in a great amount of detail in part one. I found the historical context to be very interesting and a good way to introduce how his ideas were different than those of previous generations.  In particular, I found the link between open admissions and his ideas about knowledge to be very enlightening, especially after reading his article “Collaborative Learning and the ‘Conversation of Mankind.’” It is not hard to see where the concept of abnormal discourse originates. One suggestion that I would make is to add a brief discussion about abnormal discourse and how this connects to his idea that knowledge is something that changes.

I also feel that the third section gave a good overview of how Bruffee affected the field as a whole and his impact on composition theory. I think that this section could be expanded to include your personal teaching experience. Part three would benefit greatly from a description of how you see the work of Bruffee in your classroom, and how collaborative learning is perceived and/or viewed in the high school environment today. You could also describe how you see the legacy of Bruffee reflected in our current classroom situation. For example, the assignment of blogs and our review of each other’s work in these blogs is a direct reflection of Bruffee’s ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Heather! I also liked how Amelia introduced herself. Seemed obvious, right? Totally forgot about that. I liked your suggestion about discussing my own teaching. I could talk ALL DAY about that. My kiddos are a HOOT when it comes to collaborative learning. I think I might cover that on my powerpoint next week. Problem was that I ran out of time, literally, on my podcast. I didn't want to lose credit for having too many minutes, but in hindsight, I probably should've added it and then eliminated something less important. I felt like I repeated myself a ton! Thanks again for your help.

    ReplyDelete